The MUUSJN Board of Directors voted to share information about the Poor People's Campaign: A national call for moral revival that builds on Dr. Martin Luther King's original Poor People's Campaign 50 years ago. It also is a commitment to educate, use social media and civil disobedience to work for justice in Michigan and many other states.
For more information, go to: www.poorpeoplescampaign.org/
There you can sign the pledge to get more information and get more involved.
The Michigan campaign has several committee, including a Faith Committee which has three
chairs in SE Michigan: Rabbi Alana Albert; Rev. Kevin Johnson; and Rev. Wylie-Kellerman. Contact Rev. Gerald Cardwell, Faith Committee State Chair, at 248-514-7711 or email@example.com
UU'S! Susan Leslie, the UUA's Director of Congregational Advocacy and Witness, recently asked for my help in finding out how many UU clergy and lay persons are willing to participate in mass moral nonviolent direct action in Washington DC between May 13 and June 23rd. The campaign is also asking clergy who can do so, to be part of national actions, in addition to action in their own capitals.
POOR PEOPLE'S CAMPAIGN EVENTS IN SE MICHIGAN
1. April 8th (2-4:30 p.m.) MASS MEETING. Washtenaw County, UAW Local 898 Hall, 8978 Textile Road, Ypsilanti.
2. April 15th (2-5 p.m.) Direct Action Training. St. Peter's Episcopal, 1950 Trumbull, Detroit.
3. April 22 (2-5 p.m.) Direct Action Training. Catholics Social Services of Washtenaw County, 4925 Packard, Ann Arbor
4. April 28 (9 a.m. to noon) Hear Rev. Edward Pinkney speak about his story and the Michigan Poor People's Campaign at Plymouth United Church of Christ, 600 E. Warren Ave., Detroit. For more information, call: 313-864-1411
5. April 29 (2-5 p.m.) Direct Action Training. St. Peter's Episcopal, 1950 Trumbell, Detroit.
6. May 13th - 40 Days of Moral Action begins! (includes civil disobedience)
You are invited to send me information about PPC events in other parts of Michigan.
Please share this alert with friends. It's
posted on MUUSJN's Facebook page: